Summer Vocology Institute
Selection of candidates is based on previous academic records, professional experience, letters of recommendation, and statements of professional goals. The Summer Vocology Institute offers specialty training through the department of your choice: Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) or School of Music (MUSC).
Attached to your online application form, you will need to submit the following:
- A resume with relevant educational and professional experience. Any professional honors, publications or presentations should be noted;
- A transcript from your most recent degree program;
- Three letters of recommendation. These may be sent separately from the application form, if needed;
- A statement of past experiences and professional goals. Although the format will vary from individual to individual, these personal statements should include summaries of previous professional and educational experiences that were of a concentrated nature similar to the SVI as well as a description of how the SVI will facilitate attainment of future goals.
- The deadline for domestic applications is March 1, 2023 although applications will be accepted up to April 30, 2023 if space permits. International students requiring a visa must apply by January 15, 2023. (Visa processing times in many countries has been greatly slowed since the COVID pandemic and to ensure you can secure a visa in time, we must adhere to this deadline. J1 visas are required for nearly all international students.)
International students are required to have a J-1 visa to study at the SVI. Obtaining necessary documents for international applicants can cause time delays; please plan accordingly to meet all deadlines.
Processing Fees for the J-1 visa in 2023 are $350 and are the responsibility of the student. UCV will have a process for collecting this fee from accepted students prior to the start of the program.
As a non-university funded exchange visitor, the minimum funding requirements are $1,700 per month for the entire duration of your visit.
TOEFL & IELTS Requirements: Graduate applicants must receive an 85 on the iBT OR a 6.5 on the IELTS in order to qualify for admissions for SVI.
All international applicants from non-English speaking countries, including students who have completed other degrees in the United States, must submit a recent TOEFL or IELTS score (scores must be less than two years old).
Resources for International Students